Justin A. Welply
Justin Welply, an associate in the firm’s litigation practice group, focuses his practice on civil litigation including product liability, toxic torts, asbestos defense, commercial and business disputes. He has defended and pursued claims against manufacturers, distributors, premise owners, banks and lenders, title companies, small and medium sized businesses, employees and employers, landlords and tenants and real estate developers. He has experience in all aspects of litigation from pre-suit investigation, discovery, depositions, summary judgment, bench trials and appeal.
Outside of litigation, Mr. Welply advises business owners on formation issues, operating agreements, non-compete, buy sell agreements and other day-to-day corporate matters, as well as individuals on estate planning issues including wills, trusts, healthcare and financial power of attorney.
Mr. Welply is licensed in Missouri and Illinois and primarily practices in St. Louis City, St. Louis County, Madison County, Illinois and St. Clair County, Illinois. He is also licensed to practice in the United States Court of Federal Claims located in Washington D.C.
Mr. Welply graduated cum laude from St. Louis University School of Law in 2012. Prior to law school, Mr. Welply attended Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky on a soccer scholarship graduating with bachelor degrees in Economics and Business Administration.
Mr. Welply lives in University City, Missouri with his wife and son. He is an active member of Our Little Haven, Haven Club, and routinely represents indigent clients through the Volunteer Lawyers Program of Legal Services of Eastern Missouri. Mr. Welply is an avid sports fan and outside of work enjoys spending time with his family and playing golf.
Litigation results include:
- Assisted in the dismissal of numerous asbestos liability claims pending in Madison County, Illinois and St. Louis City;
- Obtained favorable result for tenant in rent and possession dispute at bench trial in St. Louis City;
- Negotiated dismissal of appeal by opposing counsel minutes before oral argument in the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Eastern District;
- Helped leading auto manufacturer obtain dismissal of majority of product liability claims pending in St. Clair County, Illinois on forum non conveniens and venue grounds; and
- Assisted in obtaining favorable result for landowners in asserting fee simple and easement property rights adjacent to active railroad lines before the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Asbestos Defense
- Business Law
- Commercial Law
- Labor and Employment Law
- Real Estate Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Missouri, 2012
- Illinois, 2013
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 2014
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2015
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. cum laude - 2012
- Honors: Academic Excellence Award for Commercial Transactions
- Law Journal: St. Louis University Law Journal, Member, 2011 - 2012
- Bellarmine University, Louisville, Kentucky
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Economics
- Major: Business Administration
- When, Where, and Why the First Amendment Protects the Right to Record Police Communications: A Substantial Interference Guideline for Determining the Scope of the Right to Record and for Revamping Restrictive State Wiretapping Laws , 57 St. Louis U. L.J. 1085, 2013
- Missouri Supreme Court Grants New Trial for Kansas City Chiefs Employee in Age Discrimination Case, Sports Litigation Alert, Vol. 12, Issue 23
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Missouri Bar, Member
- Illinois Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis, Member
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Volunteer Lawyers Program