Brian M. Wacker
Brian Wacker is an associate in the firm’s litigation group.
His practice focuses on pursuing and defending litigation on behalf of executives, trustees, fiduciaries and small businesses in business disputes, trust and fiduciary litigation, real estate litigation and other commercial disputes. He has significant experience in all aspects of litigation, from pre-filing investigation through trial and appeal.
He has extensive experience in labor & employment law, successfully defending employers and executives, including discrimination and retaliation claims under the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other regulations.
He practices in state courts across Missouri and Illinois, particularly St. Louis City, St. Louis County, and Jefferson County, Missouri, and Madison County and St. Clair County, Illinois. He is also admitted to practice in the following Federal Courts: Eastern District of Missouri, Western District of Missouri, Southern District of Illinois and Northern District of Illinois. He has successfully defended appeals in the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, as well as the 8th and 9th Circuit Courts of Appeals.
He has a proven track record of obtaining favorable results for his clients, including recently:
- Earning a dismissal of all claims and successfully defending an appeal to the Eastern District for a trustee client brought by a title company seeking more than $10,000,000.00 in damages.
- Negotiating a complex, favorable settlement on behalf of a Trustee who had been speciously sued by beneficiaries of the trust on various theories, including breach of fiduciary duty and under the Illinois Deceptive Business Practices Act.
- Winning a summary judgment in St. Louis County on sexual discrimination and retaliation claims brought by an ex-employee seeking damages in excess of $100,000.00.
- Obtaining preliminary injunction on behalf of a developer client to prevent business interference and pave the way for unimpeded development of commercial property in St. Clair County, Illinois.
- Winning a jury verdict, including an award of punitive damages, in a property damage case in Pike County, Missouri brought on behalf of a small business owner whose neighbor’s building collapsed causing extensive damage.
Brian received his Juris Doctorate from the Saint Louis University School of Law. He graduated With Distinction from the White School of Journalism at the University of Kansas with degrees in News & Information Journalism and Strategic Communications. His international education includes training with the Consortium Institute of Management and Business Analysis (CIMBA) in Paderno del Grappa, Italy, and international legal study at Ruhr University-Bochum in Berlin, Germany.
Brian currently serves as Vice President of the Board of Directors for the non-profit Cornerstone Center for Early Learning in the City’s Tower Grove neighborhood. He has previously served on the Junior Executive Board for the non-profit Team Activities for Special Kids (TASK) and as an Honoree for the Gateway Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society Corporate Achievers Campaign. He is an active supporter of Boys Hope Girls Hope, St. Louis and Loyola Academy in St. Louis.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Business and Commercial Law
- Civil Litigation
- Asbestos Litigation
- Labor and Employment Law
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Missouri, 2009
- Illinois, 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. - 2009
- Honors: Dean's Select Scholarship Recipient
- Honors: American Constitution Society, Chapter President
- Law Journal: Saint Louis University Law Journal, Editor
- The University of Kansas, William A. White School of Journalism, Lawrence, Kansas
- B.S., News & Information Journalism; B.S., Strategic Communications - 2006
- Honors: Graduated "with distinction"
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis, Member
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association , Member