Over the years, the art market has grown to be a significant sector of the economy. Fine art sells for ever-increasing prices. Artists, dealers and collectors are engaged more and more in significant financial and legal transactions.
Herzog Crebs lawyers advise artists, dealers and collectors on transactional matters related to the acquisition, retention and disposition of fine art. We have represented buyers and sellers in disputes concerning the ownership of works of fine art. We have litigated on behalf of collectors in claims for damages to fine art. We have represented individual artists both in negotiating licensing agreements and in copyright infringement litigation.
Following are a few examples of the types of art law matters our attorneys have handled:
- Award of jury verdicts exceeding $1 million for two sculptors in copyright infringement lawsuits against a real estate developer (Billionaire Olenicoff Admits Copying Sculptor's Work, Jury Awards Damages, by Janet Novack, Forbes Staff, Dec. 12, 2014)
- Recovering and quieting title in Norman Rockwell's "Russian Schoolroom" on behalf of a good faith purchaser in dispute with a prior owner (Judgment and Decision, U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, April 8, 2010; They Both Wanted a Piece of the Rock[well] : But Spielberg's Dealer Prevails in Theft Case, IFAR Journal, 2010, Vol. 11, Nos. 3 & 4, p. 7-11)
- Recovering compensation for a collector whose fine art was damaged while in storage.
Herzog Crebs LLP has earned a reputation as one of the pre-eminent litigation firms handling complex transactions and intellectual property disputes involving art in the St. Louis metropolitan area.
If you are considering an investment transaction involving a significant piece of art, or are involved in a dispute involving investment-quality art, we have experienced lawyers ready to advise and represent you.
Our clients include:
- Individual artists across all media
- Collectors and investment syndicates
- Gallery owners
- Independent consultants
Contact Us for an Opportunity to Discuss your Art Transaction or Dispute
Call us or send an email to schedule a consultation at one of our offices most convenient to you in Belleville or Edwardsville, Illinois, or St. Louis, Missouri.
Please contact one of the following attorneys: